Tuesday 29 November 2016

The Cold Station Theory

As I stand on the platform at Stafford Station, I remember how cold and lonely train stations really are. It's a brisk morning with dark skies. I am bound by the hat and gloves that keep me cosy, holding jack frost away from my delicate hands and noggin.

It doesn't seem to matter how many times I have been on a train, it still amazes me how quiet it is. Even sitting on the train, it has the same ear popping hum of a plane coming in to land. There's always one thing that you can count on though, a hot drink. One to heat you back up and help you remember that there are warmer climbs!

So, I wonder why. What is it that makes it like that?

We should think about the general reason for the stations in the first place. Like bus stations and airports, people have a goal. Their eye on that target is held throughout. Only the conversational expert might chat to those around them, finding people who can share their love of trains, planes and, possibly, automobiles.
With that goal, we become single-filed-in-mind, one track (excuse the pun) to the destination. What separates the train system from an airport though, is that the platforms don a baron wind-tunnel look and feel, the odd coffee vendor can be found selling their wares. That explains the cold and damp though, I seriously doubt that the national rail network will start putting doors on the end of platforms anytime soon.

There's evidence of making things better though, look at city stations, they have malls attached to them, sprawling shops linked to an ever growing metropolis.
As cities get bigger, so will airports! What about our trains, let's try to make it a little more homely. I just wish i knew how!

I am currently on my way to Statford-Upon-Avon, going to a pilot training talk and a means of research for my STEM group later in the year.

What's your take on transport hubs, is commuting a sorry endeavour all of the time, given that going to work in the cold is never a 'cool' choice? Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment