Monday 19 December 2016

Role-Models - Why do we need them?

I remember the time when there was a key focus on teaching the young about industry. In the UK, there were many role-models that showed us the way to STEM based learning.

My favourite, Johnny Ball, was an amazing TV personality. He was able to make Maths interesting! Keen to tour the UK, he performed to schools at local theatres. I was fortunate to see one of these and had the privilege to be lured onto the stage. I can see it now, going up with a few others and looking at the physical world through our mathematical eyes. I was able to spend a little more time on stage, a fellow pupil and I were used as props for another experiment.



Imagine my associate lying across two chairs, his body sagging a little in the middle. I then step up onto his back and show how strong the human body is. 'Mathematics', I hear you shout? Why was I standing on my mate? Well, Johnny was amazing at crossing borders, though STEM was a distant thought at this point, around 1989, he was like a pioneer to me.

I strongly feel that his influence played a big part on how my adult-mind works. His thoughts, and the obsessive use of Lego, made an enormous impact on me. With the TEM aspects of STEM being given already, it was my uncle that fed me with the outdoors. The S would come in the form of biology and environmental teachings.

In modern times, these people still perform to us. Professor Brian Cox is a great example of this. His expertise in physics moved many people's interests. Other influences include TV naturalist Steve Backshall, Nina and the Neurons from CBeebies, or even Bill Nye the Science Guy, sending his message around the globe on the Internet.

These role-models help to secure a love for STEM, the same way that a star can claim they use a product, thus creating sales for the company and often creating a buzz. When we give children the chance to see different elements of STEM, it can unravel the lines in the mixed up journey that we all go through.

Those of us that love STEM subjects need to find ways of showing it off. What about the famous people who love it like we do? Can we draw them in, use their voice to promote the values that come from the key subjects?

One day, you might be the person that creates a new order of STEM-Professionals. Could your idea be the one that creates the uprising? What are your thoughts on this?

Until next time, you 'STEMtastic' individuals!

No comments:

Post a Comment