Wednesday 11 October 2017

Can Assistance based AI change the way that we exist?

Our lives are surrounded in technology. The very notion of putting our phones down depicts the end of the world. As a late-night screen-reader, I am often kept awake by the emitted glow of blue light.
Putting this aside for a moment, our very nature as human beings is changing, we are less likely to communicate than we once did, and we have become more self-affirming than ever before. If for nothing else, social media is a great way to show off. The very idea of 'keeping up with the Jones's' is unfathomable to me; I see no real point in comparison to others, let alone trying to be like them.

Small processors could still help!

So, the very emergence of this technology might be the new age of humanity. There have been many key moves in our history, the things we like and the ideals that spark our curiosity have all been altered in some way. I think about the floating chairs in Wall-E's world as a possible future, although it should be mentioned that even this has, at least, a social aspect to their existence.

This post is all about how technology could assist us in more than just imaging what we had to eat. At what point did we decide that friends and family, and the greater population, would like to know what our baked potato looked like during dinner, or how healthy your oats, with tangy fruit bits, looked this morning?
The game has been raised with personal assistant modules, our Mobile phones harbour Siri, or Windows being the bearer of Cortana. These assistants may still be in their infancy, but how can they form the basis for a better existence?

Siri is seldom used on my phone, though the concept is very intriguing to me. A.I. has handed me a warm, funny, feeling, since I was asked a question that regarded the socially anxious aspects of such a thing. Back in the day, some twenty years ago now, I was asked: "If an A.I. was advanced enough to replicate that of a human being, and that said technology was installed into a machine that has the appearance of a specific individual, would they BE that person if THEIR memories could also be added?" This holds a big dilemma, humans would understand that this person is now synthetic, but holds the potential wisdom of the real person that is known prior.


So, even if people would not accept this dilemma, what if our assistant software was built upon A.I.? The world that is pictured in iRobot shows the open use of helper droids, there are even friendships built on synthetic connections, creating a society of human to A.I., and A.I. to A.I. companionship. This world is capable of using technology for good, we are hounded by stories of rogue machines and failing societies, all because of a device that finds its own voice and destroys them.

Okay, this has gone a little awry, the use of our personal devices should become more than just an excuse for capturing our daily monotony; what about them running our errands and keeping us on our feet? 'We can download an app for that!' This is what we hear all of the time on TV, the ever beloved big Bang Theory have even addressed the concept of writing apps to do specific jobs, in their case, reading equations in an instant! What apps exist right now? Fitness ideals are matched to your body's needs, nutrition can be managed, and even the calendar has its place in our day to day lives.

What was that? Can I hear you shouting? "Get on with it you muttering fool!" Okay, here we go! If our lives are anything, they are a busy entanglement of business, pleasure, and a small bit towards the progress of our self. Even though the technology and software exists to provide help in many areas of our lives, there is a lot of room for improvement. I am quite outspoken about my distaste for many of modern societies whims, and the very thought of many of today's quips feels like hives in my brain! I have come to a conclusion that we are often looking at the negative, imagine a world that foresees negativity and adjusts you with small, mental, alterations. If A.I. was specifically tendered to the user, as it learns, it helps you to move forward; as it strives to help you, it makes ideal suggestions to 'bypass' the very problem in the first place.



I first had this concept a few years ago. The emergence of QuInt, was an idea based on one premise, 'Questionable Intelligence'. Ultimately though, the software was a personal companion, the technological and funding limitation is what stopped any further extension of it. The following is the theory base that I wanted to work on:


  • QuInt is a companion based A.I. (Artificial Intelligence) that serves to both adapt and adjust to the user. The personal outcomes that are expressed by this entity are built from what it knows about you. Key focus is based on shrinking the overall processing, meaning that the end result is 'small-brain' compliant. (Concept derived and highlighted by G. Rudd, July'2014) [The term 'small-brain' is given in reference to the use of smaller computer processors. This is when comparing them to the large A.I. systems that make up the 'super-computer' realms of technology.]

This idea is still sitting in my own, 'small', brain. There may be a use for it some day, but for now, I truly believe that the use of A.I. could be used to aid in humanity, not accelerate the application for social prowess or build ways for us to create destruction.

What are your thoughts on A.I., will it destroy us? Are there any ways that you have thought of for using A.I. in a 'positive' light? Until the assistance is compiled, let those of us that care, keep doing so!

On an extra note, I am intending to further my understanding of A.I. Visit beingstem.uk to see the progress, and even be a part of it.

Written for @beingSTEM - 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment