Saturday 8 April 2017

Building? Building what?



As I 'build' my website, ready for the STEM-Revolution, I am reminded of the word 'build'. Seeing that I have adopted the slogan, 'Think, design, then build!', I can assume that I need to truly understand the definition of this word.

What do we build? Everything? Just houses? What about knowledge? If you read the 'About' pages on my site, you will notice that most of my interests, for there is a lot, have an essence of building about them. The creation of anything is paramount to human progress. Every new lesson that is offered to a young child, or just the refreshing feeling of holding your new mobile phone, are all 'built' feelings or ideas at some stage in their processes.

Google Definition Search - 8th April '2017

build

bɪld/
verb
  1. 1
    construct (something) by putting parts or material together.
    "the ironworks were built in 1736"
    synonyms:constructerect, put up, assemble, set up, raise More 
  2. 2
    make or become stronger or more intense.
    "we built up confidence in our abilities"

So, looking at this, what can be noted? Even the second term describes it as size, strength etc. Moving past the obvious, we are constructing all of the time, and that makes me think!
What if we can use this as a means of STEM encouragement? Imagine that we have 10 people in a room, without gender being a focus, there would be at least 7 of those 10 that saw no interest in the creation of structures or everyday items. This could be out of bricks made from clay or plastic, it wouldn't really matter. So, can we take, from those 7, some creativity? If I am stating that we ALL build in different ways, then surely each of those do too?
It's an odd concept, but I am sure that there is a shred of plausibility in this concept. With that, I am going to produce a basic survey, a simple click of a radio button will suffice. Let's look for the smallest of creativity in all, we may even find a small number that find a niche in a role that is much needed to be filled. 
What are your opinions? Fill out the survey dots for me, you will find it in the research tab in the menu. 
This post has been written by Gavyn Rudd, Operator of @beingSTEM. You can find out more, register to be an Insider, or just say hello at www.beingstem.uk. @beingSTEM - Think, design, then build!



No comments:

Post a Comment