Monday 17 April 2017

Engineering from Afar, or Up High...

Investigating a source of engineering history can have its UPS and downs. As a long time visitor to Cosford Air Museum, I love to hear, and then see, the new objects of aviation that become the latest statements of the museum's growing floor-art.



I was able to browse over the latest developments in the Junkers JU88 rebuild. The latest email received from Karen Crick, a name that has popped up in my inbox for many years now, stated that they had put the core air-frame together. There was also the mention that the control surfaces weren't attached yet, this however meant that a more interesting trip was to be evident due to the job being 'in progress'. With parts strewn around their storage boxes, it offered more questioning for my two accompanying learners.

The JU88 was a 1930s fast-bomber by design, with the intention of it having a multi-role responsibility in the German Luftwaffe's plans. The twin-engine bird saw more than 16,000 built, with many specification variations produced that included land and sea-battle capabilities.


The history that oozes from this war relic is prevalent from the moment you get close to its moderate hulk. This is a key piece of Nazism, the Third Reich's effort to cast hell upon those below. I have stated, in a previous blog post, that it is important for us to learn about the Axis Powers too. Knowing of the lives lost from the whole war, may represent a chance to stop us reliving the horrors in our digital-rich present.

As I approach the aircraft, I can see the parts missing from the rear of the wings and underbelly. Tins and surfaces are seen lying on the floor, waiting for the engineers to attach them once again. The work, that has already been completed, is incredible, the usual attention to detail that the museum prides itself on is clear in its display at all levels of refurbishment.

From a previous visit, it was in bits!
I had already seen the aircraft in its constituent parts, laying in the corner of the 'War in the Air' hangar at the rear of the site, Just like that time, I was answering questions from my 5 year old, only this visit, I had an additional 6 year old learning the Cosford ropes. The questions came thick and fast, asking me about the outline of the aircraft and details that belonged to the artefacts shown in their glass tank.

Explaining the controls surfaces was interesting. Why are they on the floor? What is that pipe for? I would like to say that the pipe was integral to the JU88's questioning, but this came up throughout the visit, I am sure it was even asked in relation to a tank!

Again I am reminded of the gem that sits so close to home. The memories are always important, and form a major part of my 'joy' for this local attraction. The revelation this time, was understanding the knowledge that I have for both the displays, and the general science and engineering of flight. For this, I am grateful for all the experiences that I was given as a young boy, and the knowledge that is offered to me in my adult life.

Visit the Junkers, it is remarkable and a piece of rare history, at least in such a complete form, anyway. Seeing it in the mechanical flesh, it is a sight to behold.

Happy flying...or building if applicable!

Written by G.Rudd.

Find articles and more at www.beingstem.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment